During the week I usually prepare vegan or veggie meals for two reasons. One, I only cook for myself and I can’t justify buying a whole chicken or whatever just for me. I know you can freeze most of it for later but we have limited freezer space (I share my drawer). Meat that’s sold in smaller quantities is usually expensive so I save it for a weekend treat.
I used to think vegan or vegetarian food would take ages to prepare or be overly complicated. I thought you’d need to skilfully master a way to make a beetroot taste like pork with some careful spicing. But it’s all good, there are so many simple vegan recipes. After all, chips or beans on toast are vegan, right? And you hardly need to be Delia Smith to prepare a majestic meal like that.
I digress. This is one of my favourite vegan meals to make. It’s tasty and you’ve got loads of protein in there too.
Quick & Easy Vegan Edamame and Tofu Recipe
Simple vegan recipe ingredients
(Serves 3, just use 1/3 of the ingredients if you are only cooking for yourself)
- 280g Extra firm tofu (I use The Tofu Co. Naked Tofu).
- 120g Edamame soya beans (I use these frozen ones).
- 270g rice (any kind you want).
- Soy sauce
- Add 3 cups of water to a saucepan and bring to the boil. Once it is boiling add the rice and leave to simmer.
- In a separate pan, add some oil (whichever kind). Cube the tofu and then add to the pan on a medium heat.
- Once the tofu starts to brown slightly, add the edamame beans and leave for a few minutes.
- Add the soy sauce to the tofu and edamame and stir for thirty seconds (it usually browns quite quickly so you may need even less time than that).
- Serve the rice and add a few lashings of soy sauce to it. Top with the tofu and edamame.
It’s so simple but mega tasty and it is full of nutrients. Do you ever try to incorporate vegan meals into your diet?
In a rush? Don’t forget to pin the recipe to save it for later!