In the summer when I fancy something sweet, I always veer towards light and fruity desserts, and to me there is no better smell than fresh lemon zest, and smelling it in the summer is particularly invigorating. These low-fat healthy(ish) lemon and poppy seed oatcakes are perfect to enjoy on a summer’s day.
Ingredients for the Lemon and Poppy Seed Muffins:
- 1 cup of oats.
- 1 1/2 cups of flour
- 1 large lemon zest and juice.
- 4 teaspoons of poppy seeds.
- 1 teaspoon of baking soda.
- 1 large egg.
- 1 1/3 cups of milk.
- 1 cup of muscovado sugar
- 6 tablespoons golden syrup.
- 1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees fahrenheit (or gas mark 6) and line or grease cupcake tin (or use the little paper cupcake cases) .
- 2. Mix dry ingredients together and then add the lemon juice, egg, golden syrup and milk.
- 3. Place mixture in cupcake tin and bake for 15 minutes or until golden brown. Leave to cool and enjoy with a cup of tea or some freshly squeezed orange juice. Perfection.
What do you like to eat on a warm summer’s day?